[rollei_list] Re: Cameras in Antarctica

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:31:37 -0300 (ART)

Sir Edmund Hillary Kodak Retina was a model I, type
118 according Mr. David L. Jentz, Historical Society
for Retina Cameras,Tessar lens 3.5/50. This camera is
displayed at the Auckland Museum when it is not used
for shows about the 1953 John Hunt Everest expedition.
 I have a photograph about this Retina and the camera
body and lens serial numbers in other computer that
I'll access on Monday. Interesting to note that
Hillary used this camera for a trip to Antarctica and
South Pole, sir Hillary bought the camera from a
second hand store.
On May 2003 the National Geographic magazin published
the frames taken by Hillary during the climbing with
Tenzing, most frames are B&W despite they were
Kodachrome, but the photo about Tenzing in the summit
is in color, the photo published in NG magazin is
good, despite you can see a bit of grain.

Interesting to note that according the Rollei handbook
by Alec Pearlman there was a Rolleiflex in  the 1953
expedition, I know that Marc disagree, but Pearlman
wrote it.
There is a very interesting official Royal
Geographical Society web site about the 1953
expedition (they sponsered the expedition) here:
http://imagingeverest.rgs.org/Concepts/Imaging_Everest/-75.html

You can see Tenzing on the summit scrolling the page.
From the official site, a reference on expedition's
members biography:
http://imagingeverest.rgs.org/Concepts/Imaging_Everest/-109.html
 An interesting article about photographs in the
Everest:
http://imagingeverest.rgs.org/Concepts/Imaging_Everest/-285.html
Also you can look fo a slide show.-
All the best
Carlos

 --- John Jensen <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> And wasn't it a Kodak Retina (pre-war?) with a
> Compur
> shutter that was used by Hillary in the 1953 Everest
> climb?
>
> John
>
> --- Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > I had one other thought about low temperature
> > operation of Cameras,
> > but don't have the references at hand.  I'm sure
> > anyone can find them
> > if they are interested.
> >
> > David Breashears did an Imax film from the top of
> > Everest.  He had a
> > specially built, lightweight, camera available,
> > which was also cold
> > adapted.  I have talked to him here during a book
> > signing and recall
> > that he had to take off his gloves to change the
> > film cartridge.  I
> > have a photo (somewhere) of him doing that.
> >
> > Don Williams
> > La Jolla, CA

> with 'subscribe'
> in the subject field OR by logging into