[rollei_list] Re: Cameras in Antarctica

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:37:15 -0700

At 03:30 AM 6/22/2005, you wrote:

> Fellow Rolleists.  I have a high probability of working in Antarctica
> over the next winter.  I have no experience with cameras in such cold
> conditions, so I am looking for any advice about selecting cameras for
> these conditions.  I know about servicing the shutters etc.
> ("winterising"), I am really looking for input about what are issues
> with various types of cameras in the cold conditions, and any shooting
> issues I may not be aware of.
>
> I am thinking about taking something like the following:
> - The Rollei 2.8D (of course!), probably in the metal case.
> - A MF SLR so I have a long lens for wildlife shots.  I own a Kowa
> outfit, plus have a Mamiya 645 (would have to buy lenses).  Buying
> another camera would not be out of the question.
> - Thinking about taking my Linhof Super Technica for some 4x5 images.
>
> Any comments about the wisdom of the above.

I wonder how Hurley did it with glass plates, a non-heated camera, and an improvised darkroom?

http://www.shackleton-endurance.com/

Many books include his incredible photographs, and only a fraction of them exist.

Just before the Endurance finally sank Hurley and Shackelton destroyed most of the plates to limit the load to be carried across the ice field, and to forestall any thoughts about going back for the discarded ones.

DAW

Don Williams La Jolla, CA