[rollei_list] Re: Cameras in Antarctica

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <Laurence.Cuffe@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:20:49 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:37 am
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Cameras in Antarctica

The linhof sounds great, However there is lubricant in the tracks which
slide out for extra extension which may need replacing. Aditionaly the
bellows may or may not be sensitive to low temperature. I'd dump the
whole lot sealed in a plastic bag in a good deep freeze and when it was
cold see if there were any issues.  For other cameras under extreme cold
conditions film can become brittle and snap which can cause problems for
motor drive cameras, also static problems can increase under very cold
conditions.  A seal-able plastic bag may be useful to put a cold camera
into when it enters a warm place so that it doesn't get saturated with
condensation as it warms up. There's lots of older literature on
developers for extreme cold and extended washing times for cold
conditions etc., but I doubt any of that is going to be an issue in a
modern base. One method for speed drying prints which particularly
appealed to me involved giving them a brief final rinse in alchohol
which you then set on fire. This is probably not something you would
wish to practice in a small tent on the ice cap.