[rollei_list] Re: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: Richard Urmonas <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:51:53 -0800

It only now that it has been mentioned that I realised that the
controls were different. There was a gap between when I sold
my 2.8C and bought the 2.8D and so I just changed from non-Rollei to
the 2.8D, but once this discussion started my memory confirms it.

House switches are 'up is on' in the US but vary from country to
country. These days I just toggle the switch until what I want happens.

Aircraft were even more confusing. At least some years ago US aircraft
used the upward rotation of the arm for 'more' or 'on', while English
aircraft used the forward is 'more' or 'on'. This lead to confusion on
overhead switches where on a US aircraft toward the tail was 'on',
but on English aircraft toward the nose was 'on'. I don't know what
present day standards are.

Finally if your religion or place of residence has a celebration around
this time of year, enjoy!!

Richard Urmonas

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 14:39:55 -0800
`Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have I said Merry Christmas to the list, if not Merry Christmas!!!

I am reminded that things working in a different way than one is
used to can cause trouble. In the U.S. doors now open toward the
outside since in an emergency people want to push them open. Same for
locks, at least in L.A., locks work clockwise to lock and
counter-clockwise to unlock, at least from the INSIDE.
Many years ago it was discovered that there were airplane
accidents because electrical switches worked backwards of the
switches in most homes. That is, when you walk into a room you reach
for the light switch an push it UP to turn it on. In aircraft many
switches pushed DOWN to shut them off. In an emergency people often
do not think but work out of habit or kinetic memory. Pushing a
switch the wrong way or having not move can cause a disaster.
No disasters from the Rollei shutter but its an example of how
startling it can be when something does not work as expected.
Watch out for those reindeer, they can kick the shingles loose.

On 12/23/2015 3:22 AM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
Perhaps it could be better to say a matter of Compur shutter
curiosity. I'm using Rollei TLTR cameras from about 43 years ago;
the Rolleiflex 2,8C Xenotar was my most used TLR because it was my
father's TLR and, despite I have used other TLR cameras along this
time BTW; however I have used very much the F cameras beside the
2,8C and 'cord IV during the last 8 years, first the 3,5F Planar
and now the 2,8F Planar.

I got an initial annoying sensation each time I tried to set the
shutter speed for the F cameras after to use the 2,8C because I
always rotated the shutter speed wheel to the wrong direction, it
was a very minor issue and I never thought about it. But today I
put the 2,8C and the 2,8F side to side to compare the F linear
shutter speeds scale against the C non linear shutter speeds scale
and I noticed that you need to rotate the wheel in counterclockwise
direction to set faster shutter speeds for the F cameras and in
clockwise direction to set faster shutter speeds for the 2,8C (and
vice-versa for slower shutter speeds). It's the explanation for my
annoying sensation each time I use one of the two models; the
cameras have different wheel rotation direction to adjust shutter
speeds.

The Rollei Rport IV describes the way Rollei needed to do some
slight internal changes to adapt the Japanese Seiko and Copal
shutters to the 2,8GX because the shutter speeds direction was
opposite regarding the Compur shutter with linear speeds scale, but
it's evident it happened in the past too with the Compur shutter
different versions. In the other hand, there is no difference
regarding the direction to set the f stops between the C and the F.