[rollei_list] Re: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:39:47 -0600

At 11:33 AM 12/23/2015, Nancy and Carlos wrote, in part:

Perhaps it could be better to say a matter of Compur shutter curiosity. I'm using Rollei TLTR cameras from about 43 years ago; the Rolleiflex 2,8C Xenotar was my most used TLR because it was my father's TLR and, despite I have used other TLR cameras along this time BTW; however I have used very much the F cameras beside the 2,8C and 'cord IV during the last 8 years, first the 3,5F Planar and now the 2,8F Planar.

I always get a good feeling whenever the 2.8C Xenotar is mentioned. I am sure I have posted previously that I upgraded from my High School graduation president of an Argus C4 in 1950 to the 2.8C when I hit Hong Kong in the Navy in July, 1954. In those days I was able to buy the 2.8C and every available accessory on my Navy Salary, with money to spare.

That was after I had passed up the opportunity to buy, in a Navy store in Japan, either a Canon or Nikon, both with F1.5 prime lenses, selling, all up, for $130. [They were early Japanese copies of the Contax and Leica of the time].

I had an old, used, GE light meter, and that, along with the Rollei, served me well for many years until I had to trade up for a 3.5F to fit a Rolleimarin IV. It took the light meter, the exposure notes that came in the film box, along with a lot of guesswork, to get good exposures but I was relatively successful with that 2.8C/GE combination.

The 3.5F and housing recently went to a good home with a Professional Diver when I decided to end my SCUBA days. I've gone all digital now, having purchased a couple of cameras, then given them away to nephews, after an old workmate gave me, over the years three (yes 3) great digital cameras during my summer trips to San Diego. (He has the habit of upgrading to the latest thing. Nice for me.) Whenever we are together he loans me a camera and when it's time for me to leave, he digs out the accessories and says "Just keep it, you have so many exposures on it . . . " so I do.

Still, I admit I wish I had that 2.8C but at least I have many boxes of slides and negatives to remind me of the good times I had with it. (One good thing about digital systems, I'm able to scan and recover many very faded transparencies from that 2.8C. I previously tried chemical restoration but it never worked out.)

Now, what to do with my 35mm film cameras . . .

Merry Christmas and happy shooting year to everyone this list.

DAW~