[rollei_list] Re: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 09:46:45 -0500

While the US standard for light switches may be up for off, down for on,
few switches in my house work that way. Many are two-way switches, where it
could be either way, depending on the position of the second switch. Others
are rotary dimmers, or duplex switches, with two switches, or a switch and
an outlet in the same box; those work side to side. I installed one switch,
in my kitchen, upside down and never bothered to change it. Then there are
the old-fashioned push-button switches in my 1899 Brooklyn limestone that
was wired for electricity c.1905 (although I think the oldest switches are
actually from the '30s). I think I have a few switches that work the
"right" way, but they're definitely a minority.

Bob Marvin

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 6:03 AM, John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In the UK, light and power switches are up = off, down = on. Circuit
breakers are the other way. That aside, it makes sense that in an
emergency, you pull things gravitationally down to shut off – from my view
point anyway. If you fall off your chair, and slide down a control panel,
you will tend to pull switches with you to the off position. You will also
pull your cup of coffee with you too ;-)

Very best of seasons greetings to all,

John

*UP to turn it on* seems to be the same as *DOWN to shut them off.* What
am I missing here? (and then, we have two way light switches in hallways
and large rooms. It seems natural, in those cases, to just flip a switch
the opposite way, automatically. Of course in most cases there wouldn't be
a disaster)

I haven't been in a cockpit in many years but there are lots of cockpit
scenes on TV and "down" is indeed "Off".

I recall that in The Netherlands light switches were turned on by flipping
them down instead of up.

Also, if I remember correctly (It's been a while) that a lady wearing a
ring on her left hand was engaged, moving it to the right hand when
married.

We have a couple of Dutch folks on the list, they can correct me if I have
remembered incorrectly.

*Our tornado shelter door opens in. That is a FEMA requirement. Anything
that ends up against the door can't prevent you from getting out after a
storm.

DAW~