[rollei_list] Re: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 11:03:51 +0000

In the UK, light and power switches are up = off, down = on. Circuit breakers
are the other way. That aside, it makes sense that in an emergency, you pull
things gravitationally down to shut off – from my view point anyway. If you
fall off your chair, and slide down a control panel, you will tend to pull
switches with you to the off position. You will also pull your cup of coffee
with you too ;-)

Very best of seasons greetings to all,

John

UP to turn it on seems to be the same as DOWN to shut them off. What am I
missing here? (and then, we have two way light switches in hallways and large
rooms. It seems natural, in those cases, to just flip a switch the opposite
way, automatically. Of course in most cases there wouldn't be a disaster)

I haven't been in a cockpit in many years but there are lots of cockpit scenes
on TV and "down" is indeed "Off".

I recall that in The Netherlands light switches were turned on by flipping them
down instead of up.

Also, if I remember correctly (It's been a while) that a lady wearing a ring on
her left hand was engaged, moving it to the right hand when married.

We have a couple of Dutch folks on the list, they can correct me if I have
remembered incorrectly.

*Our tornado shelter door opens in. That is a FEMA requirement. Anything that
ends up against the door can't prevent you from getting out after a storm.

DAW~