[rollei_list] Re: 2.8FX shutter cock and film advance 'synchronisation'

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:44:40 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 6:56 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 2.8FX shutter cock and film advance 'synchronisation'

thanks carlos. The behaviour as you describe is definitely how it should be
- ie foolproof. Shucks!

I just made a test on an MX Automat using a dummy spool and card to fool the film feeler. The crank stroke needed to cock the shutter is quite short compared to the stroke needed to wind film at the beginning of the roll, about enough to get the crank pointing straight forward. The shutter is locked out until the crank is returned to its neutral position but once there the shutter will fire. Because of the metering arrangement the crank stroke varies throughout the roll, becoming shorter as more film is wound up on the take up spool. So, its necessary that the shutter cocking function be complete with a little less than the minimum crank stroke ever needed for winding film. So, especially near the biginning of a roll, its possible to wind the film only partially and still fire the shutter and move the counter. The crank must be moved to the limit of its movement for each frame. I didn't measure how much film is moved when the crank is moved just enough to cock the shutter but it may be short enough to cause overlaped frames, at least in some parts of the roll.
A way of checking this is to sacrifice a roll of film to use as a test tool. In older Rolleis its possible to fool the camera that the back is closed when a button or lever actuated by the back is held in. Once this is done one can observe the winding and mark the frames with a pencil to check the amount of movement. I suggest doing this before sending the camera off to be serviced to make sure there actually is a problem and that your camera works the same way as the one I checked.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx