[rollei_list] Re: 2.8FX shutter cock and film advance 'synchronisation'

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:32:48 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:27 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] 2.8FX shutter cock and film advance 'synchronisation'

Hi
I am a new rollei user having recently purchased a lightly-used 2.8FX....
Needless to say I fired off a couple of rolls pretty quickly. 2 of them were
fine but to my horror on one of them there was a pair of partially
overlapping frames (about 1cm) - presumably the film had not been
sufficiently advanced.
Its quite possible of course we have a case of user error - that I did not
bring the crank back fully to the stop position. But I would have thought
that if I had done so I would not have been able to release the shutter? On
checking it out later with a dud-film I found that it does appear to be
possible to get a shutter release without a 'full crank'.
Any thoughts on whether I may have a problem or is it simply a case of
'rubbish-in; rubbish-out'?
best rgds
Mike

This is a pretty common problem usually indicating the lubrication inside the camera has dried out and become gummy. Remember that all Rolleiflex's are getting on to be 50 years old or older. If the camera has never been serviced in its life its very likely it needs cleaning and relubrication.
There are a number of good Rollei technicians, my recommendatin is Harry Fleenor, but there are otehr good ones. Cost of service is not low because it is highly skilled work, but once serviced, the camera won't need it again for many years.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx