[rodgersorganusers] Re: Internet Organ Pricing, etc.

  • From: "George and Lorna Andersson" <geanderssons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:57:46 -0600

It occurs to me that we share a common problem on this list (at least
those of us who are not dealers).  We use Rodgers products and are
generally convinced that Rodgers makes the best product of its type.  We
would be happy in our next purchase to just call our local Rodgers
dealer, or to continue the car purchase analogy, find the price of our
next car on the internet, and buy from our local dealer if we deem the
mark-up reasonable.  If we are dealing with our own money, we can do
just that, and I have.  It does mean that we really do trust our dealer.
If we are dealing with other people's money, which we are as a
representative of our respective churches, we can't, or shouldn't.

I work for a large not-for-profit organization (a university) that
requires three bids for any purchase over $10,000.  If anyone in the
organization wishes to do a sole source placement, there is a certain
amount of red tape.  A form must be submitted stating the case for the
sole source purchase.  Then, someone from our Purchasing group, who is
completely out of the loop, will see if there is another way to purchase
the good (both same brand and equivalent specifications) through another
source at a lower price.  If that is not done, and it is caught in
either an internal or external audit of our internal controls, the
incident is written up and brought to someone's attention, our Board
Audit Committee in the case of an external audit.  This is pretty
typical.  The reason is that there are cases where well meaning people
within the institution have not been good stewards of institutional
funds.

Churches are less formal about this, unless they have been burned.
Unfortunately, the congregation often takes it out on the idiot who is
believed to have made the mistake (whether they did or not) but fails to
improve internal controls.  So, if we want to remain in good standing,
we have to protect our good names by being ever so careful.

It seems we would generally like to do sole sources purchases from
Rodgers.  We can't independently check the price.  So, we are compelled
to put the Allen dealer, and perhaps one or two others, through the
bidding process if for no other reason than to convince our Boards that
we have been good institutional stewards.  Not much fun, but.... at
least it gives the competitors a chance to convince us they have finally
bested Rodgers (grin).

Cheers!

George Andersson
St. Louis