[rodgersorgan] Re: Christmas Music at Christmas

  • From: "noel jones, aago" <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:31:38 -0400

Free Priority Mail Shipping through the Holidays from on music from Frog Music
Press!

John,

Your comment is welcome.

However, this is an Independent  Rodgers Organ Discussion Group.  We who play
Rodgers
Organs find ourselves most often playing them in churches. Strange, but true.
Some
churches follow a church year and the Rodgers Organ is used to fulfill those
musical
demands.  Other churches choose to ignore the church year, celebrating only the
church
festivals that they feel appropriate.  My Amish friends celebrate Christmas and
Ascension Day only.  They also worship in barns and homes and do not use Rodgers
Organs.  They do not find playing and selling and designing Rodgers Organs an
offensive
occupation for me to be in.  They just wouldn't do it themselves.

In private e-mails I hear the cries of those who have large Rodgers Organs that
can
uplift a worshiping community and are instead relegated to playing backup to a
Praise
Band.  Organists who are told not to play the pedals because it interferes with
the Bass
Player's bass line.  When did the corporate singing of a church. led by the
corporate
singing of the choir and the organ become a sing along with microphones,
choreography.

Are you bothered by seeing a choir of 45 sing with only a few members holding
microphones?

It is recognized that the further a church goes from liturgical practice, the
more the
role of the organ is reduced.  Rather than shutting down this line of
discussion, why
not tell us about the church that you play for, the style of worship and why
you find my
comments offensive?

The moment that we organists ignore the influence and impact of the organ in
worship is
the day that only museums and concert halls will have organs.

As long as we are on the subject of being organ offensive, let's look at
playing "We've
Only Just Begun" and "Butterfly Kisses" at weddings. What about "Sunrise,
Sunset?"

Is the future of the organ to get along or stand up for itself?

noel jones, aago
athens, tennessee, usa
frog music press
rodgers organ users group