[real-eyes] Re: My thoughts

  • From: "Mitchell D. Lynn" <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 21:54:37 -0500

What guarantee is there that Chip's life would have been saved? Speculation
is all we have. Moneys have to come from some place, and I didn't say that
they were from those things I enumerated: I only offered them as examples.
The money is going to either be raised by taxes or some other means, or it
is going to be from cuts some place else. That is basic economics. All I am
saying here is that you need to know both the pros and the cons. You can't
say "well, this a good thing for me and the blind community, so it must be
good for all people."

So, assuming that the funds would be at the result of sidewalks, public
transportation, what makes them "so-called more important city services?" I
think it is safe to assume that timely snow removal is a safety issue; and
fewer private vehicles on city streets is appealing on several levels. And I
can say from personal experience that there are streets where if there were
sidewalks pedestrians would be safer--unequivocally so. I can speak to this
from experience. When I lived off Vivion Road, I had to walk the shoulder of
Vivion to get to the bus stop. It was a pretty narrow shoulder with a steep
bank in places dropping off to a tumble of rocks etc. There is a stretch
along Brighton Ave where there is no sidewalk--just a rock strewn path,
rutted and transversed with roots in places. Part of that path is right next
to the street. It is a muddy mess when wet, and it is nearly impossible to
travel in snow and ice. If you trip or slip, you could very easily wind up
in the street: a very busy street much of the time. You can't move away from
the street unless you deal with a pretty steep bank that makes walking
difficult. Further away, and you are well into the yards of some houses, and
a bit further along, you are in parking lots of businesses. The other side
of the street is flatter, but you have to deal with a myriad of mailboxes,
utility poles, sign posts and driveways. Putting in a audible crossing at
Parvin Road and N. Brighton (unless very inexpensive and perfunctory) is
pointless as far as I am concerned. I am not going to walk N. Brighton to
get to it unless I absolutely have to. To be sure, others may benefit from
it. I won't until I can get there reasonably safely.

What, pray tell, makes you think I don't value life? There is nothing in my
posts that warrants that kind of tone.
It's a fact that "no matter how thin the pancakes, they still have two
sides." If you look back, you will see that I was the one who wanted to know
if the media was aware of the issues at that intersection. There are
definite advantages for audible crossings, but there may be some unseen
disadvantages as well. You can't just declare "make it so" and pull out a
credit card and sign on the dotted line. That kind of thinking is what has
millions of Americans in financial hardship and the country struggling as
well.

I am glad sighted folk see the usefulness of audible crossings. However,
unless you have a properly conducted scientific poll, you are claiming
evidence that is statistically insignificant.