[real-eyes] Re: My thoughts

  • From: "Mitchell D. Lynn" <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 19:21:33 -0500

I was commenting (in an amused manner) about the national organizations
ex'ing each other out so that nothing gets done. It's not progress, and it
doesn't surprise me where the national organizations are concerned. I don't
have anything against NFB, ACB or AFB, but then neither do I have anything
for them. If folks want to involve themselves with one of the national
organizations, then more power to them. If not, then that is cool too.
It was not an indictment against individuals getting involved. If anyone has
a philosophy on, an interest in, and full knowledge of an issue (including
what gets moved to the back burner when you bring something else forward)
then get involved to whatever degree your abilities and capacities allow.
Otherwise, if you are ill-informed or ignorant on an issue, then you'd be
doing us all a favor if you bowed out: even if that is a vote for the status
quo. I question whether any of the national organizations have a clue about
what is "good" and "right" in local issues like this. Thus, I am certainly
not willing to let them speak for me even if that makes me a
"Taft-isolationist"--a non progressive, or a moron.

I am all in for the audible crossing signal at 39th and Main based on some
of the facts that were posted last week as well as the expert testimony of
O&M professionals. I'd be good with similar signals at other relevant
crossings, but if that meant that needed sidewalks were not built, or public
transportation was negatively impacted, or the budget for snow removal was
reduced (as a few examples, then I would have to re-think my position on the
issue.

From: "Mitchell D. Lynn" <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 17:00:16 -0500
Sender: real-eyes-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
X-UNTD-UBE:-1

Loads and loads of people are paying taxes when they have no children in
school It isn't a question of having children or not; it is a question of
whether they are in school or not that matters. Very few taxes actually tax
selectively. Excise taxes do, but that is about it. The rest hit just about
everyone.

It is ironic you would mention installing these at every corner. The street
I had trouble crossing had a stop light for Vivion Road, but it rarely
triggered, and when it did, it was of extremely short duration. If you
walked fast, you could get from one side of the two lanes to the other.
Anything slower, and you wouldn't make it. It was my own fault that I got
stuck on that corner. I knew it was going to be sticky, but I misjudged how
difficult and scary that crossing would ultimately be. Even if you could
install these audible crossing signals at every corner, I would be willing
to bet this one would be overlooked.

ACB and NFB at odds! Why doesn't that surprise me? Sound like a good reason
to avoid involving either of them.