[rbp-vienna] Re: Rudi's Bachelor Party - let's get started!

  • From: Alexander Rind <alex.rind@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rbp-vienna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:11:39 +0200

Hi all,

blue polo reserved for Saturday -- checked
facial hair is growing -- checked
what can go wrong

Speaking on weather and time of day. What time do we plan to go and come back?
Depending that I will most likely need hosting in Vienna :-(
(that is unless we wait for the morning train leaving Bratislava at 4am or continue party in Vienna)

Graphical theme: Rudi used to go by the pseudonym Red Devil, so for me the BSD daemon is somehow authentic depiction of Rudi ;-)
https://www.google.at/images?q=bsd%20daemon

Costs: I'm sure we can distribute the cost to make a great party for Rudi (even though Bratislava is not as cheap as in the movies anymore)

ciao Alex

On 22.04.2013 17:56, Manuel Bernhardt wrote:
Hi,

I also support the blue polo and I might have 2, but I have to check (I'm
sure I have 2, but not sure I have them with me). Btw. what is the weather
these days? Will we be able to wear just polo or we'll need something over?
Because in that case, having the same shirt under different sweaters will
defy the purpose.

Good point :-)

The weather is actually looking much better during the day. The
forecast for saturday goes up to 28°C during the day for Bratislava,
during the night of course it gets colder, but by then I think we
won't be running around too much anymore anyway.

I'm ready with my beard and willing to color the hair. Though for me that
might be the simplest. How are others dealing with this? :)

Waiting for appropriate length ;)

Btw. should we maybe plan a meeting on Friday evening to finalize the
details?

That would be a good idea. May I suggest that we do not meet too close
to Rudi's place? Some ideas:

http://www.kaenguruh-pub.at/ (they have Belgian beers, very tasty)
http://www.medl-braeu.at/ (that's a guy who won in the lottery and
made his own dream come true of making his own beer)
http://www.7stern.at/

-----

If nobody stops me, I'll ask for the "soon to join the dark side" polo
to be printed / stitched, going to send the attached vectorized
version to get a cost estimate. It may get a bit expensive on such a
short notice, but if we share the cost, the price should be
affordable.

Talking about which, I'll do some maths later on to see how much we
need to finance Rudi's transport & other things. Not sure how this is
done usually, but I think we can all provide a bit of cash to provide
for Rudi's stuff and maybe a few drinks, and then later pay rounds or
something of the kind.

Cheers,

manu

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Filip Kis <filip.kis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Minivan + car sound good. We can maybe do some pitstops and exchange some
passenger every now and then.

I also support the blue polo and I might have 2, but I have to check (I'm
sure I have 2, but not sure I have them with me). Btw. what is the weather
these days? Will we be able to wear just polo or we'll need something over?
Because in that case, having the same shirt under different sweaters will
defy the purpose.

I also like the idea of making him a special polo and the starwars themed
one sounds great! I think that the ones with stitches are better then just
printed ones, but it might be to late for making such. If not then I would
not go for big picture, but something smaller. If it's printed, then the
proposed picture is OK, but I would say on the back.

I'm ready with my beard and willing to color the hair. Though for me that
might be the simplest. How are others dealing with this? :)

Btw. should we maybe plan a meeting on Friday evening to finalize the
details?

Filip

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Manuel Bernhardt
<bernhardt.manuel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi again!

Ok, I did a few calls to taxi services in Vienna - there seems to be
this one guy that has all sorts of different websites, but it's always
the same guy, and he is extremely unfriendly, i.e. he hung up on me
twice (the first time when I said I needed to check with the others
about prices, and he said something like "yeah, so you're going to
look for someone cheaper and then call back, right"). So much about
knowing how to run a successful business.

So, I found an eastern european company instead and sent them an
e-mail (http://www.taxitransport.sk/en/pricelist). I would go for
taking one MiniBus (6-7 people) and one Mercedes (1-4 people) as we
are currently 10 (Stefan Proell and Stephan Strodl won't be able to
make it unfortunately), and this option leaves place for one more.
I'll see how much the price tag for that would be, I expect it to be
somewhat more expensive than what is advertised on their website
because of a surcharge for the night.

---

What do you think about the blue polo outfit idea & do we want to make
a (last minute) one for Rudi, especially for the occasion? And, if
yes, what do we put on it? :)  (something along the lines of "joining
the dark side" comes to mind - I'm not the first one to have the idea,
apparently:
http://mr2pointo.tumblr.com/post/24139959788/darkside-wedding-shirt-is-your-lol-t-shirt-of-the-day)

Cheers!

manu

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Manuel Bernhardt
<bernhardt.manuel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

thanks for all the ideas, this will be great!

So if I may do a short summary:

- so far everyone likes the idea of going to Bratislava (with public
transport, at least for one direction)
- ideas for wearing something common: rather no t-shirt, but something
smaller (pins were mentioned), or maybe a common color (blue polo was
mentioned), and also: Rudi-style beard, red hair (easy to organise)
- Bratislava: Vanja has a Slovak work colleague who may know some pubs
- strip club: it sounds as though Rudi may not be entirely opposed to
it since he mentioned a tentative at a Stammtisch
- themes: musicals, Star Wars, ITC / makumba
- game ideas: have Rudi perform some musicals in the street, have him
do something geeky / coding combined with alcohol (Social Network)

Let me know if I forgot something...

Here's some additional thoughts from me:

- kidnapping Rudi with only a small group and bringing him as fast as
possible to an underground pub would probably be very effective for a
"where the hell am I" moment, but on the other hand may not be as fun
as not all the group is together. An alternative would be to all go
together (without saying a word), with the risk of Rudi finding out
where he's going on the way. I'm personally not really decided which
one is best, I could probably easily organize a car and driver if we
decide to do this. The "where on earth am I" factor sounds tempting, I
must say :)  --- We also need something to cover his eyes.

- for coming back from Bratislava, I need to check for transit
services still, it would be stupid to be stranded at the middle of the
night :) Help with that part would be appreciated

- pubs in Bratislava: Marian Buhinici, who some of you may know, is
living in Bratislava, so I could ask him for some input as well.

- outfits: I like the idea of the "temporary red hair" because it is
very simple to put into practice. Rudi-style beard is cool too, if
feasible! Now about clothes: I like the "suit up" idea, however it may
be trickier to achieve, and esp. to get Rudi to "suit up" for a
surprise kidnapping may not be straightforward. So what I would
propose is to all wear blue jeans and a dark-blue or black polo. I've
got 2 of those, in L, so I could provide for one additional one - it
should also be feasible to buy some of those within the week. Could
everyone tell me who does _not_ have a dark-blue or black polo (or who
has additional ones)?

- strip club: I am personally tempted to give this a try, and also my
girlfriend organized a male stripper at a bachelorette party not too
long ago, so I have some catching up to do :)

Cheers!

manu

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Christoph Lanz
<christoph.lanz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi guys,

This all sounds like fun :-) I love the idea of kidnapping him to
Blava! I
also think going there by public transport would be ok. But for coming
back
we should organise something.

I'm not really up-to-date about pubs there. A quick look at
localvortex.net
shows one directly in Bratlislava. I guess we should make sure that all
places we plan to visit are still there and recommended by someone we
know.

About outfits: I'm no big fan of quickly-printed t-shirts with a photo
on
them. I personally don't own an ITC polo, but since this is the one
piece of
outfit that I've seen Rudi wear by far the most times: how about all of
us
wearing a dark blue polo? Maybe we could do ITC buttons for everyone or
at
least the ones who don't own an ITC polo?

The beard thing is a good idea. I'm not sure if we'll all manage. Rudi
also
had his hair partly coloured in red for several years since I knew him
(cf.
his PA pic). Maybe we can organise something like that? I seem to
remember
that there were these cans to colour your hair red temporarily, like
for
carnival. We could do that easily, I guess.

Oh, and I'd love it if there was something related to Star Wars ^^

About musicals: thanks for mentioning that. I tried to find an old pic
of
Rudi and me doing the Titanic thing (see attachment), and now I have
that
horrible Titanic song in my head all day. Is there an elevated place
somewhere in Blava with a nice view where we could make him sing or
something?

About strippers: I'm no fan of that. But as mentioned, Rudi talked
about
Andreas P.'s bachelor party and seemed ok with it. I personally
wouldn't go,
but well, I'll join you all. At Andreas' party they couldn't enter the
planned strip club because their bachelor was too drunk and it showed
(according to Rudi), so maybe the lesson to learn here is to not get
Rudi
too drunk ;-)

Cheers!
Christoph

On 18 April 2013 18:15, Manuel Bernhardt <bernhardt.manuel@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi guys,

thanks all for the great ideas! I have only very limited Internet so I
will read in details just a bit later. Just wanted to say that I added
Hubert and Andreas to the list, so we are now 13!

Cheers from Tenerife,

manu

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Vanja Rojko <vanja.rojko@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hello everyone,

  Manuel, I like the idea of kidnapping him to Bratislava and doing
the
partying there very much!

This might be a bit more difficult to organize but It would be even
better
if only two/three of us appear at his place, blindfold him and  take
him
(Could we rent some transportation? Ask some car driving female Best
friend
for a favour / reimburse the costs etc...)  directly to the place in
Bratislava (some underground bar) where the rest of us would already
be
waiting...it would take him some time to realize where the hell he
is :D
:D
What do you think? Would that be doable?

As I read, Bratislava is a common place for the British stag
parties.  I
guess the locals are probably sick of groups of drunk men abusing
the
east-west price difference so  my suggestion would be maybe not to
do
the
obvious t-shirt-this-guy-is-getting-married-thing but rather to go
for
something subtle.  I find the idea that we all wear Rudi  style
facial
hair
fantastic! :) We should really agree on that soon enough so everyone
has
enough time to grow it.. :D

I guess that we will be doing some pub crawling in BRA. Manu do you
have
some ideas already? I have a Slovak work colleague (I know that's
hard
believe) so I will ask for some route  recommendations.

About the geeky programming ideas, maybe I'm wrong, but I would not
put
too
much of an emphasis on that.  He is, and will be, doing it for his
whole
life so maybe the bachelors party should be spared.

I also find it really sympatisch how Manuel carefully asked about
the
strippers and nobody answered. I personally have a strong moral
codex
that
forbids me to look at underdressed women dancing around poles. But,
just
on
that special night, just that one time, I am ready to sacrifice it.

Sacrifice it because that is what friends are for.

Seriously, at the last Alumni Stammtisch Rudi was telling a story
about
how
they visited two strip clubs in Vienna and were kicked out. I don't
remember
what was the occasion then but we have to make it right this
time....

And last but not the least, my suggestion would be for us all to
SUIT
UP!
It's going to be LEGEN - wait for it -  DARY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ijk3nepXmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYb0B_-jaBU

Looking forward to it very much!!

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Filip Kis <filip.kis@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Related to geeky, programming task... the scene from Social Network
comes
to my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxKmDWDUZ5A

Filip

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Luka Vidmar
<luka.vidmar@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hej,

some comments from my side:
  - would be cool to all wear a piece of sth similar, not
necessarily
tshirt. what about head or rudi's beard? Or our PA code on the
foreheads?
  - lets add some geeky, programming related tasks
  - i like the idea of Bratislava. At least on the way there i
would
prefer public transrporation, cause some tasks cam be done with
random
ppl
on the train/bus
- Roadtrip theme sounds cool, but then i guess we should all watch
it
before. On Friday eve?
- what about making him perform musicles on streets of Bratislava?
- some parts of Makumba party should be definitely included
- sth in Eastern Europena style, as his wife-to-be is from there
and
we
are apparently having paty there
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY1MVQeeStY)

Thats for now. Looking fwd to it.

Luka
  .

On 12 April 2013 19:49, Stefan Pröll <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi!

A weird thing, at least in my perception, is that he likes
Musicals.
In
a three day business trip To London, he insisted in visiting two
Musicals
:-)

Maybe thats also something to tease him...

Filip Kis <filip.kis@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

Just quick brainstorming:

- what are the things that Rudi likes, but doesn't necessarily
share
with Diana (football comes to mind as one thing)

Other then this he likes:
- golf
- table tennis
- video games
- Star Wars
- beer

Doing T-shirts is doable. Rudi love's polos (the classical ITC
ones
he
has in abundance) so maybe consider that.

I have an access to 3D printer that can print 15 cm^3 objects,
so if
we
come up with something geeky, fun and useful (at least for that
one
night)
we could do that.

That's my contribution for now.

Filip

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Manuel Bernhardt
<bernhardt.manuel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear all,

sorry for the delay with sending this mail, my week has been a
little
crazy.

We're now already 10 people for the bachelor party (so 11
including
Rudi), with so far 2 people coming from abroad, and I expect
between
5-6 more people to join. So this should be fun ;)

Given that there are only 2 weeks left, I'd like to get started
soon
on brainstorming for what we're going to do. An additional
challenge
for me is that I'm going to be on Teneriffa next week, in part
climbing a volcano, and they don't seem to have wifi on that
particular volcano, so I'll have some catching up to do when
back.
I'm
sure we'll manage to make a great programme for the bachelor
party
and
arrange everything on time nonetheless!

Talking about which: the idea I had so far was to start the
bachelor
party in Vienna, e.g. at Rudi's place (Diana won't be there
that
week-end, she'll be in Romania trying out the wedding dress,
which
by
the way, fun fact, is produced by an Austrian company in
Romania)
and
to then move / kidnap him to... Bratislava!

Some of the reasons I came up with, as an excuse for having
this
idea:
- it's really not far away from Vienna, so not a very long
transit
time
- the drinks are likely going to be cheaper
- the strippers too (well, we have to check if that's one thing
we
want to do or not)
- I have fond pieces of memories of the bars in the underground
of
the
inner city. Though only pieces. Which may be a good sign.
- As far as I know, Rudi made a boatload of people watch
"Europtrip",
and not only once - so much so that I know whole dialogues by
hearth
by now (and so does he, much better than me, I think). One of
the
scenes is about the main characters getting to Bratislava
(thinking
they were in fact in Berlin), then realizing it, and uttering
"Oh
my
god, we're in Eastern Europe" (the movie is a pretty
exaggerated
parody of a number of European countries as well as the US, it
gets
be really fun once you've watched it 2-3 times). So theme-wise,
think this could be rather funny.

There's of course a little bit of logistics to handle, about
getting
there and getting back sometime at night, so I was thinking to
rent
mini-van with driver or something of the kind, at least for the
way
back. If anyone has a better idea, or has a proposal of where
call,
please shout! I'll look into it more into details now as well,
there
are regular buses for about 60 € per 10 rides, just at night
for
coming back, having something more comfortable might not be too
bad
an
idea.

Some more thoughts, in random order:
- do we want to make t-shirts (can we arrange t-shirts on such
short
notice)
- what kind of (drinking) games and other games do we want to
play
- where to go to in Bratislava
- strippers? :)

Ok, I think this mail is long enough by now. Now it's your
turn,
what
do you think of the above, do you have any ideas, suggestions,
etc.?

Cheers!

manu

--
Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse brevity and typos.

--
じゃあ ね
ランツ・クリストフ

http://einjahrmadrid.blogspot.com/