[ql06] Re: PUBLIC: Civil liberties

  • From: Sheldon Erentzen <sheldon.erentzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:28:44 -0400

enough of the abstract, civil rights in general stuff.  The specific
article that this discussion sprouted from was concerning the denial of
Charter rights to suspected terrorists not convicted terrorists. Though
the media is focusing on immigrants, whom the public seem to think are
subclass citizens before the law, what about the canadian citizens who
have been arrested and detained for months on end who have eventually
been proven innocent. There are two cases I know of in the states...and
at  least one I know of here.
I just want to get it straight Mark. If a family member of yours (a
daughter, son) happened to come under suspicion for terrorist behaviour
you'd smile and say it's for our own good when the police took them
away. You wouldn't demand some proof first. You wouldn't say--hey, my
kids are innocent till proven guilty. You'd say it's better to be safe
then to be sorry and who knows what my kid's get up  to. And while they
sat in jail...completely alone...without any contact from the outside
world, you'd speak in the abstract about the neccessity of curtailing
civil rights in order to save the rest of society.

I hope your kids don't get into trouble, cause it sounds like their
father's already thrown their Charter rights out the window.

cheers,

sheldon

p.s.--just trying to bring this discussion home instead of in the air
where it seems to be staying