[ql06] Re: PUBLIC: Civil liberties

  • From: <sheldon.erentzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:26:16 -0400

Hey Mark,

It is truly a sad loss, both to our nation and to the individual families=
 who have paid the ultimate cost. However, I would like to mention that t=
his sad loss doesn't defend, support, or justify any of the positions tha=
t you have put forward. What they do justify is your and my right to argu=
e the need for civil liberties and to what extent if ever those civil lib=
erties may be restricted.

Your use of their deaths is sentimental at best and I think you're guilty=
 of misappropriating the lives of these noble soldiers to serve your own =
perspective. Again, I don't think that's what they died for.

Best regards,

Sheldon
 =

> =

> From: mark bumstead <2mab8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2003/10/03 Fri AM 08:05:25 EST
> To: ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [ql06] Re: PUBLIC: Civil liberties
> =

> It is with no small sorrow that I draw to your attention the loss of Sg=
t =

> Robert Alen Short and MCpl Robbie Christopher Beerenfenger, the 116th a=
nd =

> 117th Canadian soldiers to die in a vain attempt to bring civil liberti=
es =

> to people who neither understand nor truly want such things.  They will=
 be =

> sorely missed by all of us who serve to keep Canada free.
> One needs no further justification for the positions I attempted to ass=
ert =

> earlier this week on this listserv.
> =

> Mark Bumstead
> --- Clip here-----
> =

> =

> =

> Petawawa mourns its fallen heroes
> Everyone knows they were bravely doing their jobs. Tony Lofaro reports.=

> =

> Tony Lofaro
> The Ottawa Citizen; With files from The Canadian Press
> =

> Friday, October 03, 2003
> =

> PETAWAWA -- A few tears, sadness and a deep sense of loss filled a dril=
l =

> hall yesterday at CFB Petawawa where military officials gathered to rev=
eal =

> sombre details about the two Canadian soldiers killed and three others =

> injured while on a patrol outside of Kabul, Afghanistan.
> =

> In a town reeling from the tragic news, Lt.-Col. Acton Kilby urged the =

> community to support the grieving families who have lost the soldiers i=
n =

> action and have faith in the Canadian military officers in the UN missi=
on =

> in Kabul.
> =

> The deaths of the two officers will not change the mission or intent of=
 the =

> Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, he said. Pastoral and grief counselli=
ng =

> will be provided to the families, he said.
> =

> Sgt. Robert Alan Short, 42, an experienced engineer from Fredericton, a=
nd =

> Cpl. Robbie Christopher Beerenfenger, 29, of Ottawa, who had been secon=
ded =

 =

> Canadian Regiment, Battalion Group, were killed yesterday when their =

> vehicle struck an explosive device on the road a few kilometres from Ca=
mp =

> Julien, the main Canadian camp in southwest Kabul.
> =

> Injured were Master Cpl. Jason Cory Hamilton, 33, of Regina, Cpl. Camer=
on =

> Lee Laidlaw , 25, of Oromocto, N.B., and Cpl. Thomas Stirling, 23, of =

> Assiniboia, Sask.
> =

> Wendy Pushie was one of dozens of military wives at the press conferenc=
e =

> who came to hear what military officials had to say about the accident.=
 She =

> said she also knew Cpl. Beerenfenger and her husband, Cpl. Trevor Pushi=
e, =

> was one of the first soldiers to arrive at the scene of the deaths.
> =

> "My husband called me today and he assured me he's OK and the rest of t=
he =

> guys are OK," said Ms. Pushie.
> =

> She said the deaths were "unfortunate" and her husband and other soldie=
rs =

> are grieving the loss of one of their own. She said her husband was a g=
ood =

> friend of Cpl. Beerenfenger's and they had gone through military traini=
ng =

> together at CFB Borden.
> =

> "He was a very nice guy, he's very family-oriented. I am really good =

> friends with his wife, Tina," said Ms. Pushie.
> =

> She said Cpl. Beerenfenger has three young children, ranging from a =

> year-a-half to eight years old.
> =

> Melissa Van Tassel also knew Cpl. Beerenfenger and his wife and often =

> visited their home with her husband, Cpl. Doug Van Tassel.
> =

> "He was a very funny guy, a very happy guy. He loved his kids, that's a=
ll =

> he talked about," said Ms. Van Tassel, whose husband is also serving wi=
th =

> the troops in Kabul.
> =

> "The last time I saw him he was with his baby girl, I think she is a =

> year-and-a-half. He talked about all the things she was doing, he was v=
ery =

> proud of his family.
> =

> She said she was also very proud of Cpl. Beerenfenger and the other =

> soldiers who are risking their lives in Kabul.
> =

> "They have a job to do and they always do what is asked of them, no =

> complaints and that's how he was."
> =

> Petawawa Mayor Bob Sweet said the deaths of the Canadian officers made =
it a =

> very sad day in the community.
> =

> "It's a difficult time for the military and certainly for our community=
 as =

> a whole. We understand the military because we are very close to them a=
nd =

> perhaps it's not as well-known how much of an impact it has," he said.
> =

> Sgt. Steve Powell said he came to know Sgt. Short at the base and he wa=
s a =

> friend and a good soldier.
> =

> "You always reflect on things and look back and I wish I knew him bette=
r =