[pythonvis] Re: Text editors

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 09:34:01 +0300

Yep. UltraEdit is accessible and it has very many helpful features.
No editor is perfect for the blind programmers though.

TextPad is very accessible and it offers very helpful features which are not
offered by other editors.
But it doesn't support Unicode fully and it is not free.

UltraEdit is almost as easy to use as TextPad, offers lots of features and it
fully supports Unicode.
But it doesn't offer all helpful features offered by TextPad and it costs much
more than TextPad.

Notepad++ offers very helpful features, fully supports Unicode and it is free.
But it is not fully accessible for Jaws users.

So, I think that for Jaws users, because they are used to pay for the software
(green), paid editors like TextPad and UltraEdit are the best.
While for NVDA users, because they might like free software, I think that
Notepad++ is the best.

There are also other editors with fewer features and some of them may be free,
some of them are based on Scintilla editor control like Notepad++ (SciTe is an
example).
I don't consider EdSharp a good editor. In any way.
And I thought this about it without even knowing that it doesn't support
Unicode. I thought that yes, this is one of its advantages, that it supports
Unicode.

--Octavian