[pythonvis] Re: Text editors

  • From: "Jeffrey Thompson" <jthomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 23:29:31 -0400

Hi,

                Here are excerpts from Edsharp documentation

involving unicode characters.

The documentation seems to indicate that there is some support in Edsharp for
unicode.

--- beginning of quoted material from Edsharp documentation ---

The Yield Encoding command, Alt+Shift+Y, may be used to convert all or selected
text according to a particular character encoding. If text from a file or

the clipboard appears to be rendered improperly in EdSharp, you can tell it to
base its interpretation on a different encoding: ASCII, Latin 1, UTF-7,

UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32, or another encoding that you pick from a list of over
100 available. You can also choose a conversion where the Unicode number of

each character is put on a separate line. This may be used to identify
non-printing characters in the document. The command replaces all or selected
text,

so put a copy in a new document window if you want to retain the original.

F2 prompts for a character to insert based on its numeric value in the Unicode
character set. The number should have four hex digits (base 16). This command

is useful for inputting a character that does not have a corresponding
keystroke. You can specify a decimal (base 10) number instead by preceding it
with

the letter d. For example, the ellipses symbol (...) may be specified either in
hex as 2026 or in decimal as d8230.

When saving text to a file, EdSharp checks whether any character has a Unicode
number greater than 255, which means that more than one byte is needed to

represent it. If so, the file is saved with a UTF-8 encoding, the most common
form of Unicode for storing files on disk. Otherwise, the default encoding

of the computer is used, e.g., Latin 1.

Alt+Shift+E exports a file to another format. Built-in options include ASCII
format (characters with ANSI codes above 127 are removed), Mac format (line

break is \r), and Unix format (line break is \n). Via Microsoft Word
converters, additional formats include .doc, .htm, .rtf, and .xml. Other
converters

may be configured by editing the Export section through the Manual Options
command, Alt+Shift+M. The syntax is like that in the Import section (explained

elsewhere). The Other option lets you pick a character encoding for the target
file from a list of over 100 available.

The YieldEncoding setting determines the character encoding EdSharp will use
when opeing a file from disk. EdSharp ignores this setting if the file has

a .rtf extension indicating rich text format, or has an initial byte order mark
(BOM) indicating Unicode format (e.g., UTF-8 or UTF-16). An encoding may

be indicated by either its name or number. A list of those available may be
found by choosing the Other option in the Yield Encoding command, Alt+Shift+Y,

or Export Format command, Alt+Shift+E. If no YieldEncoding setting is
configured, EdSharp uses the default encoding configured in the regional
settings

applet of Windows Control Panel. Typically, the setting is Western European.
Use the Status command, Alt+Z, pressed twice in order to check the encoding

that EdSharp used to open the current document. EdSharp will save the document
with the same encoding.

--- end of quotes from Edsharp documentation ---

                Jet (jeffrey Thompson)