[pythonvis] Re: Text editors

  • From: Zahari Yurukov <zahari.yurukov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 04:06:36 +0300

Hi,
I very much appreciate this initiative and I'm reading your letters with big interest. I have some experiance with PHP, and very little knowledge in Python, but I want to learn and to share that what I've learned with others.

I think that Unicode support is essential for a text editor these days.
Even if you are an English speaker, you probably will want your program to be translated in other languages some day. And I can assure you, that dealing with different encodings is a hell.
Unicode contains not only different alphabets, but many other symbols, too.
So you would like your program to be written in unicode, and that's why you need a unicode editor. It is very disturbing that the developer of EdSharp refuses to include unicode support. Also, wouldn't it be harder for a beginner to remember hundrets of keystrokes, instead of using standard text navigation and manipulation commands?

I personally prefer Notepad++ for everything, but I'm NVDA user.
For JAWS users, why don't you try UltraEdit. I havn't use JAWS for many years now, but I think it should be accessible, though I can't guarantee (just an idea).

P.S. M$ Notepad is the worst text editor ever - please don't use it, grin.

Best wishes,
Zahari

На 27.04.2014 17:30, Richard Dinger написа:
You should use a text editor to write programs. Word processing programs like M$ Word or Wordpad do not work well because they include extra display and format information that will only confuse the Python compiler. This is true for any programming language, not just Python. There is an endless debate among programmers about which is the best language and another endless debate over which is the best text editor. You must select the editor you will use, based on your own preferences. Here is a list of text editors that I have seen recommended by visually impaired programmers:
- M$ Notepad (bare bones editor comes with windows)
- Notepad++ (free download many advanced features)
- Notepad2 (free download many advanced features)
- Textpad (not free many advanced features)
- EdSharp (free download many advanced features very blind friendly)
The Notepad editor that comes with windows is bare bones, but I used it for many years just because it was simple and easy to use. One drawback is that Notepad is not “language aware” , that is it has no Python specific features or the ability to run the script being edited. I think the others listed above all have some language specific features, but I am not knowledgeable enough to list them here. Read through their respective websites to get more details. The EdSharp editor is recommended on our web page, but is not required. EdSharp can be configured for Python and can run scripts from within the editor. There are several Python specific features that will make your study of Python a little easier.
Richard