[pythonvis] Re: Text editors

  • From: Greg Wocher <icewolf2011@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 14:36:01 -0400

Hello,
My problem is that I have not found an editor like EdSharp with the features I like. I cannot find an editor with a block selection mode like the one EdSharp has. Also I run into problems all the time with mainstream editors where they will read the same line of text 3 or 4 times making me miss some of the text. I then have to stop and go back to read the text I missed. I have had this behavior in NotePad++, Akel pad, Text Pad and some others I can't remember right now.

Greg Wocher

Follow me on Twitter @GWocher

On 5/6/2014 2:17 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
That advantage of announcing the indent levels in EdSharp is very insignificant because Jaws can be configured to do that in all editors. Control+F2, Settings Center, type "indent" in the search field, arrow down, press space to check "say indented characters" check box. The difference between using a non-unicode aware editor and Windows Notepad, is that Notepad supports Unicode, so it can save the text correctly. Even in America there are cities names and person names that contain special chars that may be used. They may be copied from another source, like a web page, and if the editor doesn't support Unicode, those chars will be replaced with question marks or other incorrect chars when they are pasted in the editor. It is a good idea to give simple English names to variables and functions and not use diacritics, but sometimes the programmers might need to use special chars in strings, or in regular expressions because it would be more simple than to use the Unicode code for those special chars. But they won't be able to do that if they'd use an Unicode non-aware editor. And the blind programmers may need to use the source code created by others, for learning, for improving it or if they work in a team. And if others used some Unicode chars in their source, they will be replaced with question marks if the source code will be loaded in an editor that can't support Unicode. So I think it is not a good idea to promote an editor with so many "disabilities" like EdSharp. :-)
--Octavian