[pure-silver] Re: missing ring for enlarger lens

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:34:16 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:13 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] missing ring for enlarger lens

I have an enlarger lens that is missing a part, a ring. It had the ring when I first got the lens, but I mailed it to the people that I was getting the lensboard from, in the hopes that they could measure it and would drill the lensboard for me to fit the lens. But the ring got lost in the mail. This happened six months ago or more, so I don't think it will turn up.

I didn't worry too much about this and I got the lensboard drilled locally. But the lens turns in its mount when you try to adjust the aperture. So apparently this part was pretty important.

What is this part called? Is it possible that I could get a replacement for it? Where should I look for such a thing?

(The lens is a 240mm lens for enlarging 8x10 negatives. That might make it a bit harder to find the part. It took a long time to find a lens like that, that was affordable. I got it from Cambridgeworld and it was very dirty, but the local fixer cleaned it for me. The make is Schneider-Kreuznach.)

--shannon

The part is called a retaining ring. You should be able to get a new one from Schneider, I don't think it will cost much. They might need the serial number to determine the exact version. Schneider Componon enlarging lenses are excellent, even the older ones.

There is a ring on the back, the side that goes toward the light. The missing one is the one on the side toward the print. Is that also called a retaining ring?

--Shannon