[pure-silver] Re: curled fiber edges

  • From: Dennis Purdy <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:39:10 -0700

On Apr 23, 2008, at 07:17, EJ Neilsen wrote:

The curl that one gets is not only from how you dry; yes face down on
screens after a squeegee has proven a good way for me. It also has to do with the age of the paper, and the RH of your facility. Paper thickness, type of process, toned, water type_ hard or softened, fixer used. At least this has been my experience for 35+ years. The tightness of the screens can
also play a roll. But in all those years, the final step has been a dry
mount press to end the process.

Eric

If you are going to make a lot of fiber prints then a drymount press is worth the cost. I wash prints at the end of the day and put them face up on drying screens. Then in the morning flatten them in the press. Unless the humidity is really low, which it never is in Oregon, a quick warm press then curl the prints against the curl and they cool and dry flat enough to mount with just hinge tape.

however my press is only a 11x14 and when I print larger than that I dry the prints then put them under a quarter inch sheet of glass with a bunch of evenly spread weight on top and leave them a couple or three days and it works just like a hot press only slower.

Dennis