[pure-silver] Re: curled fiber edges

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:50:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

     Ironing should work. I use a dry mounting press for flattening prints and
have described the procedure on this list. I think a flat iron would work
provided you went at it the right way. Curling is caused by the difference in
shrinkage between the emulsion and the paper support. The idea is to dry out
the support without drying out the emulsion. This is done by protecting the
emulsion with a moisture proof material such as dry mounting release tissue.
The back of the print is covered with dried out Kraft paper or photo blotters.
After heating the entire sandwich is placed under a flat weight until cool.
Cooling under the weight is important.
      Where the edges have frilled badly you may not be able to remove the
frilling without some emulsion damage but if its mild the print should flatten
out.
     I would use a plain flat iron set on low. Normally a dry mounting press
would be set for low temperature mounting tissue, say not above about 190F. You
want the iron hot but not so hot that it will sizzle if you put a wet finger on
it. Use a couple of sheets of Kraft paper or a blotter sheet on top of the
release tissue to even out the heat and spread the pressure.
     An ideal weight should have good heat conductivity like aluminum but I've
used 3/4 inch plywood with good results, its just slower to cool.