[pure-silver] Re: copal no 1 shutter question

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 13:14:15 -0700

Was drawing a blank on some words when I wrote my last post. Words that are hiding from me usually appear as soon as I hit the send button.
They are flange and retaining ring. Some shutters have a thing which will work both ways, as a retaining ring when mounted with the flange on the back and as a flange when its mounted on the front with screws. Press camera shutters often have just a retaining ring for rear mounting. Works fine as long as the lens board is not too thick. Shutters with lock pins are generally mounted using a retaining ring on the back. In fact, the pin may not clear a flange meant for front mounting. Sometimes a flange will be used as a retaining ring on the back and also screwed into place. Where this is done and the shutter also has a lock pin the result is a very stable mounting. I've found thi on Speed/Crown Graphics with Kodak shutters.
I have also seen a few shutters which were glued with thread locker, a PITA.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx