[pure-silver] Re: Uneasy Question From Nervous Uncle

  • From: Dave Hornford <Dave.Hornford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:03:19 -0700

Stein wrote:

>Dear Folks,
>
>     Many thanks for the cogent advice. I have been busy since last night -
>I found a publication from the Copyright Council that sets out what one must
>do in Australia in regard to photographic copyright - Dave Hornford was
>spot-on with his notes.

In my haste I made one error. Photographs in Australia do not receive
protection for life plus 70 years. It is end-of-year photograph
'published' + 50 years ('unpublished' photographs retain copyright
protection forever in Australia). A future update to the Australian
copyright act is planned to change that to life of photographer + 50 years.

I leave it as an exercise to determine the meaning of 'published' in
Australian law - like 'valuable consideration' it is a legal term that
when used as such doesn't necessarily mean what reasonable
English-speaking adults think it means.

Dave