[pure-silver] Re: Uneasy Question From Nervous Uncle - now becoming easier...

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:33:16 +0800

Dear Dave and Bill,

     A good departure of thought, gentlemen, and an interesting journey. The
question of " valuable consideration " is indeed somewhat vague even in the
Copyright Council publication. I suspect getting official legal opinion
passed upon it would be so expensive as to render the whole exercise
impossible. " Published " seems to be better defined, though in these days
of scanners and the net and people who know what they are doing ( as opposed
to me....) control or monitoring of that publication might be impossible.

    The " valuable consideration " part also touches upon a philosophical
point I put forward to other photographers here in Perth. A discussion arose
centered on the costs of photography, and the projected saving for someone
contemplating buying a digital camera. You all have your own opinions and
figures to support these but I put forward that I felt the cost of the
camera, scanner, film, chemicals, computer, paper, and printer was the least
expense involved - even in high-end work.

    Admittedly this was before I looked at the cost of a P25 back for a
Hasselblad.....

    But back to the discussion. I said that the most expensive part of the
whole procedure was the time of your life involved in the process. Shoot,
develop, manipulate, print - whatever - it is minutes that you spend but
cannot get back. You can only be paid for them, either in joy or cash. Thus
one might also argue that the models are trading part of their lives for the
picture - a valuable consideration indeed - and this might establish that
legal link that makes a type of contract.

    But could it also be said that there is a fair trade of my life time for
their life time.... no-one's blood is redder than anyone else's...and the
pictures, print, images, whatever are a separate issue that can be deal with
in monetary terms. I think I am going to go with this thought.

     Thanks muchly to all who have replied on this thread - it has helped me
to clarify my thoughts. I have taken the practical step of purchasing a
self-compositor stamp and am experimenting with stamping dire warnings on
the back of prints. So far the ink is smearing but if I confine the stamp to
the manila envelope that I deliver the print in it should still be seen.

    Uncle Dick