[pure-silver] Re: Uneasy Question From Nervous Uncle

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:22:15 +0800

Dear Folks,

     Many thanks for the cogent advice. I have been busy since last night -
I found a publication from the Copyright Council that sets out what one must
do in Australia in regard to photographic copyright - Dave Hornford was
spot-on with his notes.

    In this case there was no commissioning of the photos and no valuable
consideration passed at all, so it looks like I am still the owner of the
right. As Dave said, the commercial firm may assume that the person
presenting the artwork for processing owns the copyright, but I intend to
contact them to see if they require evidence of that.

    I have had a quiet electronic word with the high council of our club and
they will likely be able to stop any untoward use - the power of society -
but I have made it clear that I do not want to be considered the picture
scrooge. I shall continue to supply costume pictures, event coverage, and
all sorts of baby pictures as freely as before ( These are my friends, after
all, and I get to be in some of the pictures too...) but when the work is
taken out into the market place it is a different kettle of lutefisk.

    A small note from the BGA: Physical violence is rarely used in Guild
work, and we do not often resort to normal court procedures, unless the
victim does not speak English and can be intimidated by the mechanism of the
law. It is often enough to simply turn up at the guilty party's workplace
with several children clothed in rags pleading for food to ellicit the
required response. Or in severe cases the guilty party may be publicly
forgiven by the Guild member for whatever the fault is - every day - every
single blessed day - and at exactly the same time.....

    Uncle Dick