[pure-silver] Re: Uneasy Question From Nervous Uncle

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:36:56 -0500

At 05:31 PM 1/31/2005 , -Bill wrote:

>Just as an aside to all this conversation - I find it truly abhorrent
>that copyright rests with the "author" for 50 - 70 years after that
>person's death. Certainly a photographer/author/artist/etc. has a right
>to remuneration for his/her work for so long as he's alive to receive
>it, but why on earth do we have to pander to the "rights"
>(non-existent, in my opinion) of the next one or two generations? If I
>recall correctly (highly unlikely, considering the amber fluid I'm
>currently imbibing to unwind after a nasty day), there have been NO
>songs entering the public domain for about 4-5 years, and will be NO
>songs entering until (I believe) 2008. Should photographs suffer the
>same fate? Personally, I don't think so. In the U.S., the law (until
>the late 70's, I believe) was that copyright was granted for a 35 year
>period, renewable once. Assuming that most people don't create
>copyright-worthy work until they're 15 or so, this would protect the
>creator until age 85. Wasn't that enough? Why should descendants with
>little or no talent, be guaranteed benefits from what their ancestors
>created? Just a personal rant; sorry for going on so long. (Have you
>ever tried Rebel Yell Bourbon...? It's great for changing 10-word
>comments into doctoral dissertations.
>
>-Bill

jan3105 from Lloyd Erlick

Well, in my case I like it because I am most unlikely to leave anything
else behind for the people I love, and their grandchildren, except maybe a
worn out camera and enlarger.

My portraits are mine, and after I'm gone I intend them to belong to
whomever I damn well say. Descendants with no talent or not, I want them to
receive the benefit.

Bourbon has too much of a hangover for me ...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326