[pure-silver] Re: Uneasy Question From Nervous Uncle

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:04:30 -0500 (EST)

I don't know where the copyright thread began but here it goes...

From: Bill Stephenson <photographica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Uneasy Question From Nervous Uncle
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:31:42 -0500

> Just as an aside to all this conversation - I find it truly abhorrent
> that copyright rests with the "author" for 50 - 70 years after that
> person's death.

The current US copyright protection for a work of an individual
artist/writer until 70 years after the author's death. For group
authorship and work for hire, different terms apply.

> there have been NO songs entering the public domain for about 4-5
> years, and will be NO songs entering until (I believe) 2008.

In the US, work published before 1 January 1923 is in public domain
but anything newer won't enter public domain until 2019, except for
the work whose copyright expired sometime in the past, thanks to Sonny
Bono "Micky Mouse Protection Act" passed in 1998 rather quietly, when
everyone's attention was on Monica Lewinsky sex scandal.

The purpose of the Bonno Act was to extend the copyright so that
characters, films, etc. whose copyrights are owned by corporations
like Walt Disney would not enter public domain while they are still
profitable.

> In the U.S., the law (until
> the late 70's, I believe) was that copyright was granted for a 35 year
> period, renewable once.

That was a 28 year term, renewable once during the 28th year.  And it
was before 1978. However, those copyrights are subject to Micky Mouse
Protection Act as wel as other extensions.

I suggest to check facts at:
http://www.copyright.gov/

If you simply do not wish to prevent others from reusing and/or
republishing your work, it is a simple matter to adopt one of the
stock licenses available at:

http://creativecommons.org/

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."