[pure-silver] Re: Rodenstock 180mm APO Rodagon

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:20:01 +0700

You know how you brace yourself for a -18F morning? Piling on the clothes to
prevent death, open the door and try not to tighten up one's muscles as the
cold hits you? Here you wear whatever you like, you know it will be warm or
hot, and don't even have to really think about it.  Maybe move a little slower
on the shady side of the street.

Thai propriety forces one to be conservative in dress so one can't go native
despite the conducive temps.  Those tourists that do, just make the Thais shake
their heads.  Some temples and the royal palace won't allow western style
summer dress and long pants/dresses are required.  Being falang here allows
some leeway although Thais are quick to adopt western styles to some degree.
Frankly I found there's not a big diff tween wearing shorts and pants on a
really hot day although shorts are a bit more comfortable.
Here I am the other day when it was 95 at a temple near the "santa claus" pic I
shared here. Via google maps you can get there Wat Tham Mongkol. I know a
couple monks there and one of them I can usually find hanging out whenever I
visit and we smoke cigarettes, drink water, and chat for a while.  This wat has
been getting a facelift for some time and is nearly finished.  From this Wat,
if you look at the map, you can see Eminent Air Thai Boxing Gym where I've done
a lot of shooting as well.  It's a more interesting neighborhood than where we
live now, but I did find a sumo organization nearby that I mean to get to and
check out.

On Mar 28, 2014, at 1:43 AM, Bill wrote:

Eric - where is your furnace on earth? (Doesn’t qualify for hell on earth; need
at least 15° hotter for that.) I’m in Connecticut (east coast US for those
non-US residents whose geography is no better than mine) and we’ve hit 40° (F)
for the first time in a week or so - and this is “spring”! The snow in my back
yard is almost all melted, but my snowblower has not been retired for the year
- yet. We missed 18-20” of snow yesterday by only 150 miles.

-Bill