[pure-silver] Re: Replacement bellows for full plate camera

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:27:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 3:07 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Replacement bellows for full plate camera

Wasn't bellows making considered a craft, you were apprenticed and such???

Bogdan

I have a lot of information on making bellows. I collected it at a time when I considered making one for myself. I never carried out the project. I think, if you are serious about it, you should make a practice bellows. It seems to me to rather on the order of making flying model airplanes, but maybe easier. Finding the right materials may take some searching especially the inner layer. This should be a sort of rubber or synthetic covered cloth. The traditional stiffeners are made from heavy Manilla but there are longer lasting plastic materials, They need to be flexible enough to withstand some sideways folding without breaking. The outer cover can be the same stuff used for the inner lining but could also be a synthetic leather like Naugahide. The patterns can be figured out from the old bellows. The stiffeners are spaced with rods, they must not touch or the bellows will not fold. You do NOT need a wooden armature as is stated in some places. You do need a large, flat work surface. The best cement is a contact cement like "Barge" cement or "Pliobond". Real leather covering can be gotten from Tandy but leather is vulnerable to so many things that a decent looking synthetic is really much better. While IR film is no longer avaiable for sheet film cameras its probably a good idea to choose an inner lining that is IR proof. While I've not actually made a bellows (I did make a couple of mock-ups) I think its probaby a quite practical project and would not be expensive. Large bellows should be easier to make than small ones. I would undertake to make a bellows (for myself, this is definitely not a solicitation) for an 8X10 but would probably not try for a 120 folder.