[pure-silver] Replacement bellows for full plate camera

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:09:42 -0500

Hello,

I hope this isn't too OT........

I recently acquired a Century (1902) full plate camera. I want to replace the bellows on it. The original bellows were made out of fabric and this particular camera, had another strip of fabric glued to the edge of each crease on the top and two sides. The bellows as such is light tight, but the strips prohibit the bellows to open to their full extension on the rail, which 28 inches, Right now, I get 24-25 in.. I want to take advantage of the full extension. And because each crease is so much thicker, it is very difficult to close and pull the bellows in sufficiently in order to fold up the front extension. It had been done in the past and this caused stress on one of the joints causing a slight split in the joint in the bellows box which I reglued, so I don't close the camera to avoid that stress again.. And, frankly, it looks ratty

So for all those reasons I want to get a new bellows made for it. The full extension is 28 inches but I'd like 29" to facilitate shift. tilt, rise; a full plate back, 6.5x8.5 and tapering towards the lens standard. And made in that thin synthetic material rather than leather. With the thinner material, I can get my extra inch of extension.

So, does anybody have any recommendations as to where I should go for a well made set of synthetic bellows and which places to avoid? Preferably in North America, US or Canada, because of postage costs. I imagine it would have to be a custom job? Any ideas as to how much I can expect to pay for such a creature? I just checked in "View Camera" and couldn't find anything on bellows, lots of great LF and ULF cameras, though, drooooool
Just drop me a line.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Bogdan

 Bogdan Karasek
 Montréal, Québec                     bogdan(at)bogdanphoto.com
 Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                    "I bear witness"