[pure-silver] Re: Pyro in a Jobo Processor

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:51:27 -0500

> Actually I shouldve spent a few more minutes to provide details on
> this one.  Based on my reading, tris is more iron-reactive than mops
> and hepes. None of these can reverse the potentiation of iron
> catalysis by EDTA type ligands. Presence of ascorbate etc. of course
> makes the picture a lot more complicated.

The tris/borate dry packaged buffers I get from sigma already have the EDTA
in them. These buffers are intended for use in electrophoresis and the
reason for the EDTA in these circumstances escapes me.

> In terms of storage of pure sulfite, I think the metal specie to
> watch out for is nickel. I think this one can be easily dealt with
> with any of the ordinary means (such as EDTA + citrate).

I am doing the long term stability on the sat sulfite now but am only up to
6 weeks. I'm doing an activity test on it every week versus control (fresh
sulfite solution) and it's holing up ok so far. I would like to see no decay
for at least 6 months before I claim it's worth doing.  BTW, ongoing
stability tests at 4 months show ethylene glycol to be a better medium for
the P and C than my original methanol. Methanol as a solvent for PC works
fine up to 3-4 months but slowly begins to loose activity thereafter.

JB