[pure-silver] Re: Problems with KRST????

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 01:32:07 -0400

Hi Eric,

Tomorrow and Monday, I'll work on it, try two different papers and some more Kentemere, bought more fresh KRST, changing trays (to unused ones), different bamboo tongs... washing is I described, quick rinse, then 5 min in HC, then 40 minutes, running water

Eric Nelson Photography wrote:

I have only seen the reaction with fixer give anything close to what you are
talking about. I can't image the paper being the problem, unless it was just
taken out of the fixer. Since it was washed that is not it.
What about the distilled water. You say that you use it. Are you sure about
the bottles that you have? pH test? Fresh?

The the only thing that has ever been them is distilled water. I bought them for that purpose, 4x22 liters, keep them under the counter. I use distilled to mix all my solution, stop, developer, fix, hypo and what ever else needs mixing. Don't trust the tap water for that. Use it in for washing.

The one thing I find strange is that the prints toned this week, where also stained in the white narrow borders, and unevenly at that. Found it strange, so I checked which previous cross section of from the last several years, which were toned in the same manner, and they all had white borders. Selenium has been stored in the same gallon container for the past 5-6 years. I'm a creature of habit; good thing to have in the darkroom.

I'll see in the next few days.  Will keep abreast.

Looking at the problem from the other end, one can ask, what chemical would cause the selenium solution to turn into an opaque brown quagmire by the 3-4 print?

Cheers,
bogdan

 Used to make other chems without
problems?