[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:10:57 -0500

<quote who=Stein date=[3/22/2005 10:56]/>
> Dear Justin,
>
>      Well, pooh, you have a great deal more talent for taking pictures than
> we thought. I'll still stand by the recommendations, though. The 4 x 5 as
> finishing line pictures should be nice and detailled - sort of a sweatorama.
> Given that you will need to focus carefully to take advantage of the
> resolving power of the large negative but will be playing with a smaller
> depth of field for a standard focal length lens ( I seem to need f.16-32 for
> my studio work with a 150 Symmar S ), you may have to arrange the subjects
> precisely.

    Thank You Uncle Dick for the kind words. Truth be told, I have only
been taking pictures now for about 18 months.

    I have purchased "Using the View Camera" and I already own the
trilogy of books by some guy named "Adams" which I plan on reading again
(especially the parts I skipped over about those cameras that look like
they were made in 1920.. )

    This coming weekend I will be traveling to San Francisco and my
girlfriend and I are going to rent a 4x5 camera. If it rains, we will
settle for a 645..

    I had forwarded your replies to her and she thought we should
definitely take you up on your offer for a beer.

    I told her I was game providing she pays the airfare to Oz.

    She hasn't replied yet.

    Thanks again to all for the help.

    As I stated, I am going to rent this weekend and then when the
weather turns warmer here in Montreal rent again and if it still appeals
to me I have been in contact with a Jim from Badger Graphic over a Shen
Hao..

    But first let's see if I am not insane.

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx