[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:56:11 +0800

Dear Justin,

     Well, pooh, you have a great deal more talent for taking pictures than
we thought. I'll still stand by the recommendations, though. The 4 x 5 as
finishing line pictures should be nice and detailled - sort of a sweatorama.
Given that you will need to focus carefully to take advantage of the
resolving power of the large negative but will be playing with a smaller
depth of field for a standard focal length lens ( I seem to need f.16-32 for
my studio work with a 150 Symmar S ), you may have to arrange the subjects
precisely.

     If it is bicycle racing that you will work with I would find a
suitably-lit section of road near to the finish line, carefully measure the
light intensity ( do it beforehand with an incident meter ) and stretch a
bit of piano wire across the road at about hub height. People will stop and
if several of them do it one after another you will have a large group shot
before the paramedics come. It is always polite to give them prints later.

    If it is filthy weather remember that the big neg will stand a lot more
enlargement or conversely a lot more grain in a smaller print - so you can
trade off the FP4Plus for HP5 or some of the zippier Delta emulsions and
gains some stops and speeds. I am a pessimist, however, and still downrate
HP5 to 320 ASA. Rodinal is very forgiving in hot weather.

    Uncle Dick

PS: Not all things about large format are good, but some are interesting.
Last Saturday I took pictures of a fully -clothed lady pianist for my
glamour girls exhibition. I was initially doubtful about trying to take
pictures ina small lounge room full of three full-size pianos but decided
that it was rather like hunting elephants. You hunt elephants where
elephants live and as you can't move a piano....

    First time for everything. Halfway into the shoot the synch connection
post on the Copal shutter for my Super Angulon 90 snapped right off. Luckily
I had a Nikkor 135 with a similar Copal shutter so I exchanged elements from
the two lenses and carried on. I know there was an easier way to do it
rather than a 4 x 5 Linhof but the resultant negatives are superb.