[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:32:54 -0500

<quote who=Stein date=[3/22/2005 04:44]/>
>     What pictures would you like to take? I beleive you can become very
> famous by taking moonrises over Hernandez and green peppers and old
> cigarette buts. Naked ladies are always popular. Perhaps a naked lady
> covered with old cigarette butts eating a green pepper under a rising moon
> to get you started and go from there....

    Uncle Dick, I must say, you are my favorite on this list. The naked
lady with old butts *cough* has been done to death here in Montreal
Canada where I live. I'll have to think of something new.

    I shoot lots of road bike racing and lots of documentary type
photography. I am looking into getting a 4x5 (and the Shen Hao has
peaked my interest) in order to take "sportraits" which is a lousy term
for portraits of athletes. http://www.shampoo.ca for an example of one
female cyclist I have scheduled to shoot. But none of my portraits will
be done in the studio. They will all be environmental portraits. I like
using one simple strobe with softbox to light up the subject and to use
nice natural light to light up the background.

    One of the ideas that I have is to shoot athletes after they finish
their events hoping to capture the effort after the fact..

    I would also like it for "urban landscapes" like the one I shot this
past winter: http://www.shampoo.ca/pics/apad-cold-3-medium.jpg That was
done with a Nikon F5 and some Velvia. I could only imagine what it would
have looked like with a 4x5..

    Thanks Uncle Dick and everyone else who has helped with my
questions. You are all very, very helpful and I appreciate the replies.

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.shampoo.ca