[pure-silver] Re: OT Large Format Question

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:33:02 -0500

On Monday 21 March 2005 10:11, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>     I've been thinking about getting a 4x5 camera. I have never bought
> one and only know what I have read on the web. A local shop here rents
> 450 Horseman for fairly cheap. So I am going to give it a stab..
>
>     I am just trying to size up what a 4x5 setup would cost me and I
> found the following:
>

> http://tinyurl.com/3zngb
> http://tinyurl.com/6atga
> http://tinyurl.com/5cteb

        That looks like one expensive starter setup. I'm not sure that lens
will
cover for you. Note it's listed for 2x3. It's also a monorail are you going
to use it indoors only or?

        Starting from the bottom

        You need a tripod
        A camera body that fits what you intend to do.
        Lens that fits what you want to do. Make sure the camera can handle the
lens
you want.
        Lens board that fits your camera and lens.
        film holders
        dark cloth
        a meter.
        shutter release

        Some of those things you likely already have. You can even use your
35mm
camera to meter. You can rig up a dark cloth with some cloth from the store
or even an old jacket.

        A lot depends on what you want to do. You can buy a brand new Shen Hao
field
camera for less then that horsemen monorail. But the monorail will be better
for some things.  Or you can buy an older camera for even less. I've got an
Ansco 8x10 coming my way. All of $250 including a few film holders and a dark
cloth.

        Nick