[pure-silver] Re: Mixing your own chemicals was (Hamster was (Glass versus Plastic containers))

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 05:50:48 -0800 (PST)

> >I am interested in doing this but feel that I need
> more basic knowledge to
> >start.
> >
> >Can anybody recommend a good book on mixing photo
> chemicals to get me
> >started in the right direction?
> >
> >THANKS!
> >Speedy

I use the two books by Stephen Anchell - 'the film
developing cookbook', and 'the darkroom cookbook',
which between them give not only recipies for various
things, but also a lot of good advice on what does
what in the mixture.

A couple of other tips:
Invest in a good quality scale (you can often get
triple beam balances for cheap at police auctions)

It is hard to find larger containers for mixing
chemicals in.  I found a 5L plastic beaker at a
surplus store which has made life much easier.  Before
that I used a plastic 2Gallon bucket which I had
marked 0.5L graduations on the side with a felt tip
pen

Mark