[pure-silver] Re: Mixing your own chemicals was (Hamster was (Glass versus Plastic containers))

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:39:22 -0500

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 08:50, Sauerwald Mark wrote:

> A couple of other tips:
> Invest in a good quality scale (you can often get
> triple beam balances for cheap at police auctions)

        It's possible to live without a scale. The teaspoon method really does
work.
Small accurate digital scales aren't that hard to find. They can only handle
100 or 200 grams but are very accurate. Add a bigger scale which doesn't need
to have the same accuracy. Being off a gram when weighing two grams is bad.
Being off ten grams when weighing 1 kilo isn't that bad. So a combination of
a small digital gem scale and a bigger scale [postal?] works just fine. Or
for the things that need accuracy solutions work to.

> It is hard to find larger containers for mixing
> chemicals in.  I found a 5L plastic beaker at a
> surplus store which has made life much easier.  Before
> that I used a plastic 2Gallon bucket which I had
> marked 0.5L graduations on the side with a felt tip
> pen

        For me one of the advantages of mixing my own is I don't need to mix up
5
litres of stuff. Unless I want to of course. I also rarely mix stock
solutions. Instead mixing straight up the diluted solution.

        Nick