[pure-silver] Re: Mixing your own chemicals was (Hamster was (Glass versus Plastic containers))

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:17:51 -0500

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 09:48, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>     From other posts on other threads, my understanding, is the simplest
> to start with is paper developer. Is this so?

        No not really. D-23 is two chemicals. TF-2 fixer is three. But you
should mix
what chemicals you want. The added time for something more complicated isn't
going to be that great. You could argue it's safer since a screwed up paper
developer is just going to waste some paper. A screwed up film developer
might cost you some film.

>     When mixing either from scratch, how much time does it take to mix
> say two litres of each?

        Depends on the formula and the chemicals.

        Off the top of my head.

        TF-2 for 1 litre is:

        250 grams of hypo [sodium thiosulfate]
        15 grams of sodium sulfite.
        10 grams of sodium Metaborate

        Double that for 2 litres.   It takes a little stirring but not a great
deal.
For paper developer I'd make it diluted. That will speed everything up. Less
chemical going into more water.

      JD photochem in Montreal can get you almost anything.

        http://www.jdphotochem.com/

        Nick