[pure-silver] Sump pumps

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 05:42:23 -0800 (PST)

I have a relatively new darkroom - 3 years old.  The
darkroom is in the basement, and we are on a septic
system, with the inlet to the septic tank above the
level of the darkroom.  To get the waste water out of
the darkroom, the sink drains into a 'laundry tray
system' which is essentially a box with a sump pump in
it.

Recently, the pump stopped working - and it turns out
that the problem is with the float switch - a
replacement is on order.  The thing that has me
wondering is the fact that when I opened up the
Laundry Tray system, I noticed a lot more corrosion on
the metal parts of the pump than I would have
expected.  My darkroom effluent is probably pretty
typical - 99% of it is wash water - I do not send fix
or toners down the drain, I do send my spent
developers and stop bath down the drain, but I would
have thought that they would be diluted enough not to
contribute to the corrosion.

Has anybody else run into anything like this?

Mark