[pure-silver] Re: Large Format Tilt

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:22:52 -0500

"Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
...A very small backyard (in the city) ...
 3 tier pond where water flows from the top, to the
bottom and pumped back up again.. All around are trees
and plants

The problem for me is that the closest "thing" is in the middle of the
frame so my usual trick of focusing the bottom or the top first and then
adjusting just didn't work..

Is it possible that given the very closeness of the pond to the camera
and my lens that I'm simply not going to make this work? Or have I just not
quite mastered the art of tilting ?

Although drawn for another problem, this shows what is going on
with back tilts in normal pictorial situations:

http://www.nolindan.com/UsenetStuff/DOFRocksBeach.jpg

There are two cones: one the is the field of view of the camera and the
other is the cone of sharp focus.  You want to have the subject in
the area where the cones overlap.

There are two axis of freedom: where to place the camera and how
much to tilt the back.

The first order of business is to find the best camera position
that will get the whole thing in focus.

You might want to sketch a scaled side view of the scene on graph
paper.  Cut out a couple of paper cones/triangles/wedges - one with
the angle of view of the camera and a few of varying angle.

Play with the cones so you get all the scene in the camera cone
and as close to the center line of the DOF cone as possible.  Find
the skinniest DOF cone that works.

The hinge point will be the extension of the lens board and the
center of the DOF cone - this is where to "aim" the back.

This won't result in an exact solution but it will get you in the
area.

Don't be surprised if the best DOF location is 20 feet in the air -- find the best workable compromise solution.

You might want to take two shots: one with the plants in focus and
the rocks out of focus and vice versa.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC