[pure-silver] Re: Large Format Tilt

  • From: terry lindquist <tsll@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:44:40 -0600

Jim:

...no problem using the back movements, if you DO NOT want to change the shape of the object that you are photographing.....

I know your Graphic View camera well....I started using it in 1949!

...anyway...

terry

On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Jim Brick wrote:

4x5 & 8x10 cameras have been my mainstay since 1959. I can tell you without reservation that using tilt (back or front - I prefer back) to change your DOF plane is BEST accomplished by a good loupe and trial and error. After some practice, it becomes second nature. An easy way to start is to focus on the near, focus on the far, then set the FOCUS KNOB half way between where it was at near and at far. NOT the ground glass focus half way between near and far. The focus knob PHYSICALLY half way between the near and far positions. You can do this with feel, without looking at anything. Then start some tilt and check near and far focus with your loupe. Some focus knob adjustments will also have to be made, but after doing this for awhile, it just becomes second nature and the DOF that you want is achieved quickly and easily.

Back in 1959, when I learned view camera movements, my camera was a Graphic View II. There are no markings whatsoever on the camera. Everything is done by the seat of your pants and I soon learned how to do it instinctively. Which is, as far as I am concerned, the only way to do it. Because of this, I can use ANY camera that has movements. Of course, with a good loupe/eyepiece.

:-)

Jim