[pure-silver] Re: Large Format Tilt

  • From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:44:59 -0800

Why?  Why not just look at the GG and decide for yourself if it is in focus
or not?

I realize all these tools are helpful to some % of the market, and
interesting math and programming programs in their own right....  But do you
really NEED them?  DO you NEED your Palm if you are in a beautiful place,
alone, and peaceful?

Get out and smell the roses.....That's my motto....

Frank Filippone
red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been playing with Bob Wheeler's VadeMecum
(http://www.bobwheeler.com/photo/Software/software.html), which is a set
of usefull programs for the (LF) photographer which runs oa on a Palm
device.

Anyway the program I like the most is called Tiltb, this program helps
you to find the amount of tilt (in degrees or top movement) needed to
get something in front of (A), and something at the back (B) higher up
in focus.It is based (not novel) on measuring, by back focusing the
difference between A and B on the rail, and the difference between A and
B on the groundglass. Both distances and the distance from the camera to
the tilted plane are fed into the TiltB program, which gives you the
degree tilt or the amount of topmovement of the front standard.

Since I use mainly an old Linhof Technika III in the field, I cannot use
back focus (it hasn't), but I assume I can use front focus for that,
right?

A more difficult part is how to measure the amount of top movement. A
Tech III has no front tilt, only back tilt. A way around this is to do
back tilt, and drop the bed (making front and back parralel again, and a
front raise. So now the back tilt is turned into a front tilt.

I now measure the amount of top movement by measuring from the back
panel (actually box), somehow I have the feeling that this is not
entirely correct.

OTOH I did some testing of this procedure in my living room, and the
resulting tilted plane nicely brought the desired subjects in focus,
have to print the negatives yet though,

Best,

Cor