[pure-silver] Re: Large Format Tilt

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:36:06 -0500

  Right, since we are on the subject of tilts and LF.. I just recently
souped some LF stuff and I was very disappointed with the results.  I can't
freaking focus to save my life.

   The scene is my backyard.. A very small backyard (in the city) and the
landlords have built a 3 tier pond where water flows from the top, to the
bottom and pumped back up again.. All around are trees and plants.. The
neighbours think we are all in some sort of cult. ;-)

   Anyhow, I tried shooting this thing the other day. The only lens I have
is a 150mm. The pond starts but 5 feet from where the camera is and ends
some 20 feet back and is about 15 feet wide. There are trees that hang over
the pond as well. You think I could get this thing in focus ? Not even
close..

   The problem for me is that the closest "thing" is in the middle of the
frame so my usual trick of focusing the bottom or the top first and then
adjusting just didn't work..

   Is it possible that given the very closeness of the pond to the camera
and my lens that I'm simply not going to make this work? Or have I just not
quite mastered the art of tilting ?

   Oh, and on a side note, I did get it all in using a 80mm on my Hasselblad
500.. I had to really stop it down but I did get it all in focus..

   Any tips ?

   Thanks

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx