[pure-silver] Re: Large Format Tilt

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:12:44 -0800

One of the reasons that I got so familiar with back tilt is that I use both the Hasselblad FlexBody and the Rollei SL66 (mostly the SL66 nowadays). The SL66 looks like it has lens tilt, but it doesn't. It is back tilt! The lens is attached to an arm that pivots at the film plane. Tilt the lens and then re-adjust your framing, which equals back tilt.

I just read a lot (silver e-mails) about nodal points, entrance/exit pupils, calculations, etc. Gives me shivers! I had to deal with all of that fifty years ago and ran away from it as fast as possible. Back then Brooks Institute was a VERY technical school. Most of us decided that we liked to take photographs rather than carry a slide rule (1959) and a note pad full of formulae. By the time one calculates everything necessary to take the 'perfect' photograph, the opportunity has vanished. But knowing the principals is enough to help one intuitively make outstanding photographs.

Right out of Brooks, I worked for a couple of decades as a commercial photographer. I had accounts with several AD agencies and shot tons of 8x10 Ektachromes, which is what they wanted back then. I had an 8x10 Deardorff and a 4x5 reducing back as my LF set-up. No time for formulae and slide rule... just time to do the shoot, process the film, and deliver the product.

:-)

Jim