[pure-silver] Re: I'm seeing spots!

  • From: "Steven Kershaw" <stevendidit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:38:09 -0700

I'll toss another couple considerations out since you say you are using
distilled water.  Distilled water by nature has a VERY low ionic factor. So
low it almost works as an ANTI-wetting agent in fact because of the same
consideration it makes for poor rinse water.  (I worked in a water quality
lab for a number of years where we distilled our own water to conduct our
tests produce or reagents as well as clean all the reusable labware.  Check
your Edmonds scientific or VWR catalog for a sterile wetting agent,
basically a soap but a drop or two in a gallon of water goes a long way in
breaking up surface tension as well as promoting consistent mixing of your
chemistry.  Speaking of which are any of your chemicals starting out as
solid powder form?  The same condition can lead to poor liquifacation thus
getting invisible to the naked eye sized chunks of chemical.  Time can be
your asset here mix in warm water as recommended and then let stand
overnight.  And one final comment, which is sure to create some controversy.
On the subject of banging the canister to shake the bubbles loose, in as
much as there is no large quantity of gas in most photo chemicals the sheer
action of accelerating and decelerating the molecules will strip away
molecules that can form a gas.  The most obvious example of this is your
beer or soda.  Even though you have opened the container if you slam it down
on the table the action causes outgasing.  Water WILL outgas it's just the
nature of chemistry. Now I'm not saying this is a cause but the science is
there that says it can happen....

Steven

Steven Kershaw, CPF

Owner,