[pure-silver] Re: I'm seeing spots!

  • From: "Kurt J. Griffin" <kjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:41:38 -0700

   A second opinion after looking again and more closely.
<snip>
Since you got similar spots throughout a roll it would be useful to see a couple of other pictures.

---

Richard--

I really appreciate your thoughtful approach. This was taken at the top of the stairs at SF Museum of Modern Art. The appeal of that space when I took the picture was the interplay of light, shadow, reflection and architecture. Most of what's there is actually in the image including the wedges (light from a window on wall & reflected from top of stairwell) and the squiggles in the upper part (a drawing on the far wall) The round spots are the confounding bits. At the risk of linking to non-Ag, non-BxW images, my digital snaps might show the context better:

http://public.fotki.com/kjgriffin/ca/sfmoma/

I've also posted two other spotty pictures from less complicated scenes. These are adjacent frames from the other roll I souped at the same time. In the photo with the saguaro, some of the spots are less-uniform and almost have an ring/airbell look, but many are still uniform blotches. With the naked eye, they look to be in the emulsion as somewhat darker densities, without any differences in color, texture, etc.

http://flickr.com/photos/kjgriffin/2636330675/
http://flickr.com/photos/kjgriffin/2636330783/

Jeffrey Thorns suggested developer splashes. I add as quickly as I can through the light trap on the tank (15 sec for 800 ml). Development time was 11.5 min. One reel was atop the other, but both had similar issues. The upper parts of the image (e.g. the saguaro sky) would have been under the developer sooner

I've tried re-washing and refixing to no avail.

Thanks, again, to all who had suggestions.

--Kurt