[pure-silver] Re: Five year old paper?

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:02:45 +0100

For FB papers, I have never used anything but Agfa and Ilford, and it is my
experience that Agfa paper loses its edge quicker than Ilford. I wouldn't
hesitate to use Ilford FB paper as old as 10 years if it was kept in the
fridge. If storage conditions are unknown, I wouldn't touch any paper older
than 2 years, because darkroom time is valuable, and I have no time to waste
it.

Having said all of that, paper does slowly get softer with age. This is not
necessarily a big problem with VC, because you can filter to compensate for
it. There is also a speed loss, which is even less of a problem.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com